Tuesday, April 7, 2009

God smiles on us again



I almost quit my job in a fiery, sarcastic fury every 30 minutes, sure. We're told we're living some sort of modern version of the Grapes of Wrath while our economy and way of life eats its limbs alive while we watch - yea, ok, whatever. I still haven't figured out what that mouse falling from the sky in front me the other day meant - has anyone? Who cares about any of this non-sense. Today was Opening Day for the Giants and no two-bit April rainstorm or general depressing reality could keep the greatest game from being played - God demanded it.

I couldn't decide whether to call in sick from the get-go or just nurse a "stomach ache" in the later morning to bail to opening day. I settled on stomach ache, since the national weather service called for "definitive soaking" rain at game time and I could milk the ache to fruition or let it "pass" should the game be rained out and nobody would be the wiser. I also actually had a legitimate stomach ache... damn Chron coffee.

Good triumphed over Satan's low pressure trough matriculating over the Pacific and baseball was played. For those who don't care about baseball or don't understand it (there's no difference, really - it's the game of brutes and scholars), today's game was an important one. The Giants have sucked the proverbial (isn't it irritating when people use this word? it's always in the most obvious circumstances) monkey balls for the past 5 years. They haven't had any homegrown players of any consequence for two decades and have been embarrassed on opening day for 3 straight years.

So when I managed to get to the sold-out park for a quick 3 innings before returning to work and almost sarcastically give my two weeks again, the sun/goodness defied all odds and broke through for a win. Somewhere, an angel just got its wings and a Dodgers fan just got herpes. Go Giants.

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking "monkey balls" was the most obvious, but that's just brutish me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Good triumphed over Satan's low pressure trough matriculating over the Pacific and baseball was played."

    This is a line from a true sports writer...fairly bitter, biting and damn funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So then, they got to play all 4 quarters?

    ReplyDelete