Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Progressively worse

Anyone else genuinely despise these commercials for progressive insurance?



I mean, like really, really angrily dislike it. A write-a-sternly-worded-letter-to-progressive hate that almost ruins whatever faux reality show it is that I'm investing my time in. Whenever I see god-awful commercials like this crap, I immediately imagine myself sitting in the board room meeting where some blowhard executive is signing off on this script: the quirky, relatable hipster "gal" that makes car insurance FUN weee hehe! I'm of course powerless to stop this decision from being made, let alone the follow up board meeting where the same executive feels his new quirky, hipster campaign is being received so well by the voiceless viewing audience that he signs off on enough variations on the same retarded theme to fill 10 months of Seinfeld reruns and in between Billy Mays pitches (rip).

I don't like corporations trying to be too assuming of me as a consumer, too hip (close second) and likable. It's what advertising is in essence and part of a free market society, but these are the best ideas they have? These are what millions of dollars are being spent on? This is what we respond to??

Also, an interesting read today.

4 comments:

  1. regarding the 'interesting read' - i feel the same towards kindle as i do towards twitter. it's dumb and you're dumb for using it. glad you're not one :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. despise is such a mild word. loathe doesnt really quite sum it up either.
    though i'm not sure if the gilmore girl wannabee is more irritating than 'i'm a mac' and all the sad and pathetic knock offs.
    commercials, like the reality shows they interrupt, are symptomatic of too many ill-qualified people STILL being employed in jobs for which they have no business being employed.
    the only thing that makes it worse, is the enormity of the buy, that allows it to be on every one of the 900 tv stations in every single commercial break.
    SANCTUARY!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNOW! I totally agree! The part I hate the most is that although the commercials do their best to make me believe that the company is on my side and doing such wonderful things for my happiness and well being, and oh yeah, they are *cool too*... the REAL goal of the company is to extract as much money as possible from me at the lowest cost and they don't really give a crap about me at all.

    And oh yeah, the pure insipidity (?) and stupidity of a Old Navy commercial can definitely top Progressive any day. For almost ten years I wouldn't even enter Old Navy stores because I thought it would be a tacit acceptance of their assinine commercials!

    Ah... how strange that I still call myself a capitalist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. agreed on old navy. especially the ones with the dogs seeming to jump through the air. there was one with dogs, right?

    ReplyDelete