Monday, January 18, 2010

coloRADo, indeed

Surprised Jean and her friend with a birthday trip to Colorado. We spent a day on the slopes at Vail and were the last ones off the mountain which, while scenes from White Fang and Alive momentarily popped into my conscience, I was able to convince myself that being as close to alone in the wild while technically on the grounds of a resort was a good thing. In fact, the rescue guy doing end-of-day sweeps on his snowmobile assured me he didn't mind having to wait for me while I pizza-sliced my way at breakneck speeds from the summit.

"Take your time," he said with the condescending yet reassuring smirk that only a rescuer can give while idling on his snowmobile, petting his dog on his lap.

The two of them just watched while gravity became too much for me while practically standing still on my skis. Nonetheless, he hung back long enough (and Jean was fast/better enough to ski ahead) and I was able to slide along by myself as the snow turned to ice and dusk set in. Nothing but a surreal quiet, white aspens blending in with the ground and the crunch of the snow on the skis as I glided along in my frozen novice wedge stance.

It also allowed for truly inspiring sunset panoramas of the Rockies.




me, jean, camtron, tbell, adam

2 comments:

  1. It would appear that you took these pictures on your camera. And it would also appear that you have the cable to get them off your camera and onto your computer since I can see them here. So... Where are my pics from this last summer? Don't make me send you another mean text! PS you all look cute in the snow.

    ReplyDelete