Sunday, February 1, 2009

American girls

are annoying as hell. Not in general of course, but they did damage to my newfound favorite transportational experience: the Eurostar (which, as it turns out, is freaking awesome. For that hour and a half, I might as well be a physics professor galivanting around Europe, having to make a quick stopover for a lecture in London. I may be able to squeeze in a second lecture tomorrow, but I don't know, I'm a professor with a busy European schedule to keep. It's that cool).

Anyway, I heard them say something about me clearly within earshot as I went for my seat and they played whatever dimwit card game they could manage, assuming I was French and couldn't understand them. Though I took that as a double-compliment, it was the first in an hour-long display of stereotypical American twits in top form, giggling and speaking at the top of their voices for nearly the whole trip... "oh my god I KNOW!.... hehehe.... Stacie you're so full of it!..... I did NOT leave my hand there last night! Nuh-uh did NOT.... so I totally said 'that's how it's like in American bars! HEHEHEHEHEHE!"
The rest of the car was nearly silent compared to them and the occasional mocking of the various accents they heard during their little girlfriend vacation. I exchanged a few glances with my cabinmates, letting me know I was with them on this one.
I don't consider myself a pinnacle of courteous behavior, but I do go out of my way to adjust the ipod volume, temper my finger/foot percussion, and mind my personal space, which is no easy task for someone 8 feet tall. But while making fun of other people is all fine and good in private or, say, the internet, it's poor form on the Eurostar. Poor, stupid, blonde twit form.
An hour and a half is a long time to stew, so I begain imagining that they all went out last night to be hit on by European guys ("cause they LOVE American girls hehehe!" they probly said), then Stacie had too many drinks and puked on the side walk. I also imagined getting up and dramatically sweeping all of their cards onto the floor before telling them to shut their nit wit mouths. I'd be praised and patted on the back by my Eurostar seatmates for being the good American.
I've never wished for a train I was riding on to derail. Not before today.

3 comments:

  1. i love you. keep writing. you always make me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend, I'm afraid you've gone native. And that's OK ... I value the company.

    ReplyDelete